Some days you just have a craving for a certain kinda cake and nothing else will do until you have it. I really fancied a coffee shop style lemon and poppy seed muffin. These muffins taste just like the ones you get in Starbucks.
The supremely soft muffin base is just exploding with lemon flavour thanks to lemon zest, lemon juice and best of all the lemon glaze.
Who could resist muffins bursting with fresh lemon flavour and the poppy seeds add that little crunch. Perfect bake for a bright and sunny breakfast or brunch with a coffee or if you’re greedy like me, a mid-morning snack.
The muffins are drizzled with a mixture of powdered sugar and lemon juice. You can leave the glaze off, but why would you, it’s in my eyes the best bit! it adds a little extra lemon flavour.
These are easy to make. There’s nothing fancy about them. Just mix a few basic ingredients but are a classic and too good to resist.
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 125g self-raising flour, sifted
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tablespoon poppyseed’s
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Lemon Drizzle Icing –
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- Enough lemon juice to make a thick paste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Line a 6-hole cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Next add the eggs and mix to incorporate fully. Add the flour, lemon zest and poppyseed’s and mix. Now 1 tablespoon of milk to loosen the batter a little.
- Distribute the mixture equally between the cupcake liners. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a cake tester comes out completely clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transport to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the icing: Mix the icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a thick glaze. At this point remove the cupcakes from the liners. Then drizzle over the icing and garnish the cupcakes with extra lemon zest and poppyseed’s if you like.
- Enjoy 🙂