You are probably all aware by now that I love chocolate hazelnut, Nutella in fact and in the past have shared a number of recipes using this heavenly spread.
Light, Hazelnutty & Chocolatey Cupcakes, with Kinder Bueno Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and to top it off a chocolate hazelnut core. Yes, please! I ate more than one of these cupcakes before I even took a picture of the finished product, so yes apologies that photos are limited. You will understand once you try them.
I would love to sit here and say kinder Bueno is my favourite chocolate bar, yes I really like them but favourite No. The list of favourite chocolate bars is that long now I am not really sure I even have one these days.
Like most of my cupcake recipes, the buttercream recipe is also the perfect amount for a larger 8inch cake. This buttercream would work really nicely with both chocolate and vanilla sponge cake, Hell I would eat this stuff right out of the piping bag if it was socially acceptable.
For this recipe I topped the cupcakes with carefully sliced Kinder Bueno, however, I do know that you can get packs of miniature individually wrapped ones, I just have never been able to get my hands on any.
Chocolate lovers this buttercream is dreamy and almost moose like. I like to pipe a generous helping of this chocolaty goodness onto each of the cupcakes but hey, you dollop it right on or spread it on with a palette knife, whatever suits.
- 80g Butter
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 200g Plain Flour
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 240ml Whole Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 175 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 175 g Icing sugar
- 350 g Nutella
- A dash of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tin with cases.
- First beat together the butter, sugar, cocoa and flour using the paddle attachment or a freestanding / hand held mixer. You will know this is readty as the mixer will look like breadcrumbs.
- Now in a jug whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Next add half the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat on a medium speed. Once combined slowly add the remaining mixture slowly whilst the mixture is on the medium speed setting. ( Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl)
- Now spoon the mixture in to muffin cases. Each case needs to be two thirds full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes . Once baked leave them to cool for a few minutes in the time before cooling completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Beat the butter in an electric mixer until soft.
- Now add the icing sugar and beat until fully combined.
- Next add the Nutella and beat until fully combined.
- Take a look at the consistency of the icing, is it pipeable/spreadable? If not add ½ tsp milk and mix until fully combined. Check the consistency again and repeat if needed
- Enjoy 🙂