When I was little I used to love Iced Gems, those sweet little round biscuit with a swirl of crunchy icing on top. Mmm, What’s not to love right? I haven’t seen them in the supermarket for years, I am sure they are still around somewhere!
When I heard this months Alphabakes challenge was ‘I’ I jumped at the chance at the chance of making some homemade Iced Gems.
First you need to whip up a batch of vanilla cookie dough. I used to make these cookies primarily for special occasions, but they have become such a nice treat for pretty much anytime, simply because they taste so good decorated or simply eaten plain. Crisp, sugary, and vanilla-y, which is just what a vanilla cookie should be. The dough is the perfect consistency for rolling and cutting; and the batch is a really workable size (24 cookies) Now remember iced gems are small so this recipe will make a lot of these little beauties!
- 350g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g salted butter softened, diced
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 250g icing Sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Sift the flours together into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix well.
- 2 Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 3 When all the butter is evenly mixed in, make a well in the centre and add the syrup, vanilla and the egg.
- 4 Mix well, drawing in any of the flour left at the side of the bowl, and stop as soon as a ball has formed.
- 5 Shape in to the shape of your choice and bake until golden brown. Cooking times will be dependent of cookies size.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and using an electric beater mix for about 6 minutes.
- It will be really stiff, not at all sloppy and won't drop off a spoon.
- You can now colour it as you wish.
- Put into a piping bag, use a closed star nozzle and pipe onto each biscuit.
- Leave for at least 2 hours for the icing to firm up. I tend to leave these overnight.
- Enjoy 🙂