Halloween is fast becoming my favourite holiday. Something about the trick or treating, the costumes, the carved pumpkins and not to mention the pumpkin spiced lattes.
The best bit is the abundance of treats on offer sending us all into a sugar high.
I want to share a really great bake that will impress at any party. These cookie bars are a one-pan-wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am kind of bake. No messing, rolling into shapes, chilling the dough or batch baking. One tin, 25 minutes in the oven and you’re done.
If you have seen my Soft & Chewy M&M Bars you will know my love for cookie bars. Being Halloween and all I felt it only right that I stick to Halloween colour scheme. Ok, ok you got me I just blinkin love peanut butter and will use any excuse, including Halloween to bake with it!
These cookie bars aren’t cakey. They’re soft, buttery, dense, and chewy. I have added regular chocolate chips and a shed load of Reese’s pieces to this recipe, however adding mini Reese peanut butter cups would also taste amazing. The only reason they weren’t in this bake is because the supermarket had run out. …..sigh
- 275g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1tbsp Cornflour
- 115g Unsalted Butter
- 55g Caster Sugar
- 135g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150g Reese's Pieces
- 150g Milk Chocolate Chips/ Chunks
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a 9x9inch square tin with baking paper.
- First sieve together the plain four, bicarbonate of soda and cornflour together. Set aside.
- Next melt the butter. Add in the two sugars, and whisk for a couple of minutes so the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth.
- Now add in the egg and the vanilla, and whisk again briefly till smooth. I used my stand mixer.
- Next add in the dry ingredients, the Reese's Pieces ( save a handful for the top) and the chocolate chips and mix with a spatula till a thick cookie dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin and press in the handful of Reese pieces into the top for decoration.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top of the cookie bake looks dry.
- Leave the cookie bake to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before you cut in to squares.
- Enjoy 🙂