Who doesn’t love a good coffee recipes?There are days that i am unable to function without a shot of caffeine and on those kinda days i like my caffeine shot in cake form.
If you are a coffee lover you could easily replace these for your morning cup of coffee!! they really do pack a punch.
The cupcakes themselves are light and moist. The coffee has been infused into the cupcake itself, but what makes these cupcakes sensational is the incredibly rich coffee buttercream topped with a single chocolate covered espresso beans for that finishing touch.
- 80g butter
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 240g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 240ml milk
- 20g Instant Expresso
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 160 g Butter
- 15g Instant Espresso
- 50ml Milk ( whole milk works best)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a muffin tray with cake cases.
- Lightly warm the milk ( Do not let it boil) and dissolve the espresso powder into it. Allow to cool fully and beat in the eggs.
- Next beat together the butter and sugar and flour with an electric mixer. The mixture with turn in to fine breadcrumbs.
- Now add half of the coffee flavoured mixture in the the flour mixture keeping your mixer on a low speed. Once incorporated bring your mixer speed up to a medium speed setting and add the rest of the coffee mix .
- Once your cake batter is smooth divide it between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 18-20 mins until springy to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- First warm the milk and dissolve the espresso powder. As before DO NOT BOIL. set this aside and allow to fully cool.
- Next in your mixer beat together the butter and icing sugar, slowly add the coffee mixture and you will notice the buttercream come together.
- At this point you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Continue to mix until all of the liquid is added to the butter mix and the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Pipe of spread the buttercream on the the cooled cupcakes with a palette knife and there you have it.
- I decorated my cupcakes with chocolate covered coffee beans but you could use regular ones or just some grated chocolate.
- Enjoy 🙂