Happy Valentines Day Everyone
Coconut & raspberry loaf cake. what a combination. I came across this recipe on a blog called “The Spotty Teapot via Pinterest and thought this would make the perfect valentines day cake.
Just look at the pretty pink drip icing. who could resist it aye? what I love about this cake is it’s dense and fluffy texture. I know I sound like I am chatting rubbish now. How could this cake be both dense and fluffy? Try it and see.
This cake is laced with raspberry jam and oh boy does it look pretty when you cut into the cake.
For this recipe, I used eggs and butter at room temperature. Certain recipes call for ingredients like eggs, butter, and milk to be at room temperature but many people ignore this step. No! Wait! Don’t! Room temperature isn’t listed next to ingredients for fun. I am not trying to make your life difficult it’s all done for a reason I promise!
When at room temperature, eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients form an emulsion which traps air. While baking in the oven, that trapped air expands and produces fluffy baked goods.
- 150g Butter
- 150g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- 250g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 100g Desiccated Coconut
- 4 tbsp Milk
- 6 tbspRaspberry Jam
- 80g Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Raspberry Jam
- 2 tsp Water
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 180Cand line a 1kg loaf tin with baking paper.
- First beat together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract
- Next add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and beat until combined
- Next add ther milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Lastly fold in the desiccated coconut
- Spoon a third of the batter into the loaf tin, before spreading the raspberry jam in a layer on top of the batter. Cover the jam with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes. After 35mins cover with tin foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool complepty on a cooling rack.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add water a little at a time Then add the raspberry jam until you get the desired shade of pink.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, spread the icing over the top, and then cover with some more coconut.
- Enjoy 🙂
Tried this recipe, why not tweet me your pictures 🙂