I have a standard chocolate cupcake batter that I use as my go-to for cupcakes, its fool proof and never lets me down. This batter has morphed into Mocha cupcakes, chili chocolate cupcakes, chocolate chunk cupcakes, the list goes on. The basis recipe remains the same with only a few slight changes here and there.
The next recipe I am sharing with you uses this basic chocolate cupcake batter and is the basis for my light, sweet, cinnamon buttercream frosting. Best bit is there are not difficult or challenging componants and you can whip a batch up in under an hour! Why not impress everyone with a simple festive recipe and a little creativity.
Now I say this recipe is festive because they have cinnamon in, but frankly I eat them all year round as I am a big cinnamon fan. I believe the way you decorate them is the only factor that separates them from a year round cupcake.
You could decorate the cupcakes with a cinnamon stick, a wafer, white chocolate chips, small cinnamon biscuits, a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce, the list goes on Anything that goes with cinnamon. (Which is everything.) I chose to use chocolate pretzel sticks and my reindeer cakes picks which can be found here
- 230g Butter
- 230g Caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 230 g Self raising flour
- 60g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 120g Butter
- 500g Icing sugar
- 1Tsp Vanilla extract
- 1.5 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment
- Next add the eggs one at a time along with 1tbsp of the self raising flour with each egg added.
- Now add the remaining flour and cocoa powder and milk.
- Beat until combined. Do not over beat this.
- Now distribute the cupcake mixture evenly into 12 cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 mins until a skewer comes out clean and you have a light fluffy cupcake.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Whilst the cupcakes cool move on the the buttercream
- Put the Butter in a bowl and add half of the icing sugar. Beat until soft and incorporated.
- Add second half of the icing sugar and repeat the process, beating on a low speed
- Next add the vanilla and cinnamon
- Slowly add the milk. Beat the mix for 3-5 mins on a high speed until smooth and incorporated.
- Add to the mix to a piping bag and pipe onto the cold cupcakes.
- Enjoy 🙂
Please follow and tag #livalittlebakery so I can see all the recipes you make.