Spring = Carrot cake time! I can’t believe it has taken me this long to post a recipe. I blinking love the stuff. Carrot cake, carrot cupcakes, carrot cake bites, yeah, yeah you get the picture.
Carrot cake is only good if it’s spiced and if it’s moist. Under-spiced carrot cake tastes like, well nothing and dry carrot cake taste even worse.
These little beauties are perfectly spiced ( well I think so anyway) however are missing a traditional ingredient, raisins. I know some of you will love them, but for me, raisins in carrot cupcakes should be illegal!
In this recipe, I substitute the raisins for pineapple which takes the cupcakes to another level. So light, Moorish and one of your five a day, If only!
I know its almost traditional to top this bake with a cream cheese frosting and whilst cream cheese frosting is ok, I have to admit I much prefer buttercream. I just prefer the texture and think that cream cheese frosting overpowers the cake for me.
You will you LOVE this buttercream recipe. A vanilla cinnamon blend of buttery goodness. In my book a perfect pairing.
- 175g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 2 Large eggs
- 100ml Vegetable oil
- 200g Caster sugar
- 200g Finely grated carrots ( around 2 large carrots)
- 40g Pineapple crushed with a fork
- 3 tablespoons Chopped walnuts
- 500g Icing sugar
- 120g Butter
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with electric or stand mixer for 5 mins until thick and pale.
- Next add the vanilla and oil and beat until combined.
- Now sift in the dry ingredients. and beat on a low speed until combined
- Next stir in the carrots, pineapple and nuts.
- Divide the mixture between cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before adding the buttercream.
- Place the butter and vanilla in a mixer and beat until very soft.
- Now add half of the icing sugar and combine .
- Next add the remaining icing sugar, cinnamon and milk and beat until smooth.
- Spread or pipe the frosting over the cooled cupcakes and top with some chopped nuts or a fondant carrot.
- Enjoy 🙂