This recipe should come with a warning as once you have made your first batch of bark you will be well and truly addicted. This rich melt in the mouth treat makes a perfect present when bagged up or presented in gift boxes and would make a great Fathers Day homemade treat .
You may have seen my previous banoffee slab recipe. I now can’t stop thinking about bark combinations, bark flavors, bark textures, bark colors… Trust me there will be more bark blog post in the future.
Bark seems to be an American treat in which one of the ingredients is cake batter out of a box (yellow Cake mix) This recipe will show you how to make English Cake Batter Bark and uses good quality ingredients as the better the ingredients the better the taste.
I found myself rummaging frantically through cupboards looking for random ingredients, nuts, sweets and marshmallows to throw in the mix. The possibilities are endless and I get excited thinking about combinations I could make people in the future.
The one thing I did find when buying sprinkles is there seems to have suddenly taken away normal sprinkles and replaced them with fancy ones! I had to resort to polka dots. Sometimes simple works best however simple was nowhere to be found.
- 80 grams high quality dark or extra dark chocolate, chopped (75% coco solids where possible)
- 360 grams high quality white chocolate, chopped. (I used Lindt chocolate)
- 5 tsp plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Sprinkles of choice
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Chop dark chocolate and melt gently in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Pour melted dark chocolate onto your parchment paper and spread with a spatula until desired thickness. Freeze for 20 minutes to set.
- Next melt your white chocolate. Whisk in sugar and flour, stirring well until smooth. Let it sit for approximately 3 minutes as it will thicken slightly.
- Remove pan with set chocolate from the freezer and pour white chocolate on top, repeating the same spreading technique as you did with the dark chocolate.
- Toss sprinkles on right away. Freeze for 20 more minutes.
- Once set, break or cut into pieces. Store in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy 🙂