Now I don’t need to tell you the weather has been a tad crazy. Its April whats going on! First hot and sunny, followed by rain and even snow all in one day. The bananas seem to be confused and have ripened at super speed this week.
What I don’t love is food waste. What better way to use up banana’s than making cake! Take it on a picnic, share with friends or freeze. Just don’t waste a whole bunch of banana’s.
When a banana loses its firmness it may not be appetizing as a snack, but it’s the perfect time to bake with them. Try this recipe and you will never waste another banana!
This recipe will make a standard loaf cake. Half the recipe to make a batch of cupcakes or 5 mini loaf cakes.
- 125 grams butter at room temperature
- 250 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- 250 grams Plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Large banana’s, mashed using a fork or use 4 small ones the overripe the better
- 170 grams Milk chocolate chopped in to chunks
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C Butter a loaf tin, line it with parchment paper
- Cream together the butter and sugar until you have a fluffy, light consistency.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into a small bowl adding one at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Sift your flour, baking powder and the together and add to the butter mixture, mix until combined
- Add the mashed banana’s and your chocolate chunks and mix until everything has been combined thoroughly.
- Scrape your cake batter into your loaf tin and gently smooth over the top with your spatula. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- This recipe will make a standard loaf cake. Half the recipe to make a batch of cupcakes or 5 mini loaf cakes.
- Enjoy 🙂